Famous Last Words: Catching Up After Boston

Paul Revere statue near the Old North Church in Boston, MA. Photo taken by me.
At the beginning of January, a group of my meteorology friends and I got the opportunity to visit Boston, MA for a conference. The conference that we attended was the Centennial American Meteorological Society (AMS) Conference, which included both a student and professional portion. During the student portion, we were able to meet and talk with professionals in the field and advisors in graduate schools across the country. The professional portion was a week filled with thousands of fifteen minute oral and poster presentations about current research being done in fields such as meteorology, climate, and even mental health. It was an amazing experience and I am so grateful to have met so many people and enjoy time in a brand new city with some of my closest friends!

However, this conference was held during the first week of school. Fortunately several of my meteorology professors were also in attendance, so their classes were cancelled for the week, but two of my classes were still held and I had to miss the lectures. Due to this, I have been playing catch up since returning (alongside battling the flu, or "AMS Plague" as it is commonly known). After a week of finally being back in class, I am enjoying all that I get to learn during my last semester of college! I am still catching up on missed lectures and a few homework assignments, but overall my professors have been very accommodating and understanding and I am excited about the material we are expecting to learn in my meteorology classes. Since the conference reinforced my plans on conducting research with radar and weather observations to make severe weather forecasts, and this is what most of my classes pertain to, I have a great feeling about the semester even though it started off a bit rocky.

Comments

Popular Posts