Storybook Favorites

“Book of old times” by user titouan russo. Source: flickr

Storybook 1: Making a Murderer: Lady Macbeth

The topic of this storybook was brand new to me, as I have never had the chance to read "Macbeth" by William Shakespeare. The title does a great job explaining what the storybook is intended to be about, and I enjoy that plays on the title of the modern docuseries "Making a Murderer". The first thing I noticed about this storybook was the picture chosen on the main page, which sets the mood of story well. The synopsis provided is intriguing and gives a brief, but thorough, explanation of the story the author is intending to tell. I liked the illustrations/pictures chosen to go along with the text throughout the story book and think it is a clever way to help the reader picture what is happening.


Storybook 2: Retirement Home for the Gods


The topic of Greek mythology is something that I am not too entirely familiar with, but I know some basic information about it. What drew me to this storybook was the title, which describes a humorous idea of Greek gods and goddesses living in a retirement home when they get "old". The introduction does a fine job describing the storybook and letting the reader know what is to be expected, and it also makes me want to keep reading to find out what the drama between the gods and goddesses is during their game. My favorite part of this storybook's layout is the font chosen in the title and the outline surrounding it. The font is bold and aesthetic, similar to the Greek gods and goddesses. The storytelling style of this storybook was rather comedic and enjoyable to read, but also informative and explained background stories well.


Storybook 3: Asking Anubis


Although I have a very general understanding of Ancient Egyptian culture, I do not know the story of Anubis (or other gods at the time) in much detail. The title of the storybook lets the reader know that it will likely be similar to an advice column or phone line where anonymous people write or call in and ask for help with events going on in their lives. The introduction is rather broad in terms of describing what the storybook will be about, but I enjoy that its supposed to be like a mission statement for "Asking Anubis". The font and picture used is clean and neat, which inspires me to continue reading. Overall, the writing style of this was entertaining while also being very informative. I liked that the author brought separate stories together with Anubis and the Japanese folktale of Izanami and Izanagi. Navigating the storybook was also sleek and intuitive, which made reading it easier.

Comments

Popular Posts