Wikipedia Trail: Thomas W. Talley to Vigilance Committee

Image result for thomas w talley
Memorial plaque for Thomas W. Talley by flickr.com user Dave. Source: Link.
I started at this page because I saw it in the Twitter stream from the class website and I have also grown very interested in African American history thanks to two classes I got to take over the summer. The tweet stated that he was the first African American researcher to publish a book of folksongs and I realized on his Wikipedia that he was also a chemist, which is so cool! His book was important because it was one of the first ones to bring attention to African American verse study.

The reason I went to this page was because I had never heard of this group before. I was fascinated to learn that they toured along the Underground Railroad and even in Europe as an all African American a cappella group focused on raising money for their school. The Wikipedia page even had a sample of the group singing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" which was beautiful to listen to.

I clicked on this link from the previous one because I was not sure if it was describing the actual Underground Railroad or another route taken by the touring Fisk Jubilee Singers. It was describing the actual Underground Railroad, and I think it is very meaningful that the group toured along this route, especially since the members were either recently freed or children of freed slaves.

From the previous Wikipedia page, this group was discussed as being involved in the Underground Railroad, and I had never heard of it before so I wanted to see what they did. Since they were a group of private citizens looking to handle laws that they believed the government was not taking care of adequately, there were good and bad sides to their actions. One good action, though, was its involvement in the Underground Railroad. 

Comments

Popular Posts