Wikipedia Trail: Legend to Fairy tale

Legend Wikipedia
This week I started on the page describing what a "legend" is. I thought it would be interesting since that is related to what our class is about! I did not previously realize what the specific definition of a legend was, but I now realize that it is a narrative with human actions believed to have previously taken place by both the storyteller and the reader. The actions occurring in the story can be quite unbelievable, but they are also just believable enough to not be disproven. Another characteristic of a legend is that it evolves over time to stay relevant and more "realistic".

Fable Wikipedia
Since this page is also related to the main theme of our class, I figured this would be interesting to read about as well. Specifically, a fable is a fictional story featuring some nonhuman character(s) and has some moral at its conclusion. These differ from legends because the actions taken by the characters are not believable (animals talking, plants walking around, etc.).

Parable Wikipedia
Since I have been attending church quite regularly since I was little, I am familiar with what a parable is thanks to certain stories in the Bible. However, I did not really know the detailed difference between a parable and other types of stories above and below. According to this page, the main difference between a fable and a parable is the type of characters used, where a fable uses nonhuman characters and a parable uses human characters. These human characters tell a fictional story to teach some sort of lesson to the reader.

Fairy tale Wikipedia
This type of story I especially did not know the specific definition of, because I always assumed it to just be about fairies, elves, or woodland creatures that ended with a happy, wholesome conclusion. While this is generally true, there are some other important characteristics of a fairy tale that I did not know about. A major difference between a fairy tale and a legend is that fairy tales do not reference actual place, people, or events as they are written to take place "once upon a time".

Comments

Popular Posts