Wikipedia Trail: Witchcraft to Florence Newton

Witchcraft Wikipedia
I started here this week because I have been watching supernatural-related videos on YouTube in my free time since quarantining started, and this subject has always fascinated me. Although I do not practice (or plan to practice) witchcraft, I am interested in topics related to it such as astrology, crystals, and botany. This page discussed an overview of where witchcraft originated, who practices it, and how it is practiced. It is typically seen as a negative practice meant to cause harm to others, but is actually most often practice to bring peace to the individual by connecting to the Earth. What surprised me is how global it is, rather than in just Western societies.

Witch-hunt Wikipedia
Of course this is a popular topic when discussing witches because it was so common around the 17th century and it even happened here in the US. I did not realize, however, just how early in humanity these hunts started. According to this page, people in 18th century BCE ancient Egypt and Babylonia took part in punishing "malevolent sorcery" and all the way up to 2015 in Syria, Iraq, and Libya, people have been executed for "using magic for medicine".

Islandmagee witch trial Wikipedia
At the end of the previous page, there was a list of well-known witch trials throughout history and this was honestly a random one that I clicked on because I had never heard of most of them (and I didn't realize there were so many!). This one took place in Northern Ireland from 1710-1711 wherein eight women were jailed for a year after being accused by one younger woman who appeared to be "possessed". They were not executed, but were ostracized from society for the rest of their lives.

Florence Newton Wikipedia
This was listed as a related page to the previous one because Florence Newton is known as the "Witch of Youghal" from Ireland. After being accused of a multitude of offenses, she was arrested and jailed in March of 1661. In September of 1661, she was put on trial for having "enchanted" another citizen, Mary Longdon, and using sorcery to kill yet another citizen, David Jones.

Comments

Popular Posts